Since 1981, the National Association of Independent Life Brokerage Agencies has been representing independent wholesale life brokerage agencies, leading the way in protecting your interests. When your agency is a member of NAILBA, membership opens doors to many opportunities. NAILBA offers a community* of BGAs that you can rely on for support; tools* to help you manage your business, and professional development* for you, your staff, and the producers who work with you.
In May, 2013 the NAILBA Board of Directors approved changes to the association’s bylaws that effectively change the criteria for membership in the association. Further to the Association’s mission to serve as the national association of life, health and annuity insurance distributors, the Board has reduced the number of membership categories from six to two: regular and emeritus.
Membership in NAILBA reflects an organization’s dedication to independent brokerage ideals. A NAILBA member agency works in the ultimate best interest of the consumer, who may access the purchase of life insurance and related products through any number of potential sources. Membership applications are reviewed and approved by the Board of Directors.
The new, broader qualifications for an agency’s acceptance as a regular member are as follows:
1. The agency is an appropriately licensed independent brokerage agency.
2. The agency derives its primary income from brokerage distribution.
3. The agency is free to place business with any carrier.
4. The agency maintains, in good standing, a brokerage general agent’s contract with at least three (3) brokerage carriers.
5. The agency is committed to promoting and advocating the independent brokerage system.
6. Applicants must agree to comply with the NAILBA Bylaws and promote the trade and business of independent insurance brokerage agencies and the interests of consumers served by such agencies.
Qualifications for the member emeritus category remain unchanged. This category shall be for a retired principal from a NAILBA member agency, or for an agency principal who no longer qualifies for membership as a Regular member. The individual’s agency (or former agency) shall have no less than five (5) continuous years of NAILBA membership, in good standing, prior to retirement.
Download a 2015 Membership Application here. Completed applications can be returned by fax to 703.383.6942 or by email to email@example.com. Applications and renewals for the current calendar year must be received by September 30 to be eligible to attend the Annual Meeting.
If your agency is a current NAILBA member, the renewal application will be mailed in late December 2014 to all current members. Renewal deadline is January 31, 2015; renewal applications received after February 28 are subject to a $300 late fee. Contact Kathy Allison to request a renewal application by email.
For more information about joining NAILBA, please contact NAILBA at 703.383.3081 or firstname.lastname@example.org.